WHY DOTH ADONIJAH REIGN
Text: 1Kings 1:1-36
Let’s look at verse13;
Go and get thee in unto king David, and say unto him, Didst not thou, my lord, O king, swear unto thine handmaid, saying, Assuredly Solomon thy son shall reign after me, and he shall sit upon my throne? why then doth Adonijah reign?
THE PERSONALITY OF ADONIJAH
Adonijah is the fourth son of David. His mother was Haggith. He was “a very handsome man” (1 Kings 1:6), but he was also badly behaved. The Scripture pointed out that the reason for Adonijah’s misbehavior was that King David had never disciplined him: “His father had never rebuked him by asking, ‘Why do you behave as you do?’” (verse 6). When David was old and on his sick bed, Adonijah rose to take over the throne of his father.
Adonijah is a usurper. He has the spirit that rides over men’s destinies. Adonijah in the context of our study refers to an enemy that delays the fulfilment of God’s prophecies over people’s life. And if care is not taken, that prophecy will be permanently aborted.
Solomon was destined to reign after his father but the throne was hijacked by an enemy called Adonijah. Many of us are like Solomon that the enemy has placed resistance over the things that rightly belong to us. Many children of God are facing satanic instigated denials and delays. So many from the realms of the spirit have been dethroned from the throne prepared for them. There are some specific facts you need to know about this enemy called Adonijah’s spirit so as to be able to identify it in or around for proper dealing. I pray for you, recieve the power to properly deal with that Adonijah reigning in your life.
FACTS ABOUT ADONIJAH
- It is the spirit that fights the will of God in a man’s life. When not dealt with it can stop the will of God from finding expression in a man’s life. It was the will of David that Solomon becomes the king but Adonijah rose to fight that will.
- It is a spirit that hijacks a man’s throne. Throne speaks of power and authority. So Adonijah spirit when allowed in your life will fight your power and authority as a child of God
- It is a spirit that delights in reigning over a man, people or family by all means thereby controlling and influencing their life and actions
- It takes advantage of a man’s weakness to strike. Adonijah took over the throne when King David was already old and weak.
1 Kings 1:1,5
“Now king David was old and stricken in years, and they covered him with clothes, but he gat no heat. Then Adonijah the son of Haggith exalted himself, saying, I will be king: and he prepared him chariots and horsemen, and fifty men to run before him.”
- It is a pridefu spirit. When allowed in your life, makes you a proud person. The bible says “…he exalted himself… That is pride. The bible says when a man exalts himself, God will humble him. But when you humble yourself, God will exalt you.
- It keeps a man away from discipline. Any man that hates discipline can’t be discipled. When one is not disciplined, he will be wild. David had never disciplined Adonijah so he became wild.
1 Kings 1:6 (TLB);
his father, King David, had never disciplined him at any time—not so much as by a single scolding!
As a parent when you refuse to discipline your children the way David did to Adonija, you may end up breeding an Adonija in your home and that will be disastrous.
- It is a wicked household enemy. Adonija was the elder brother to Solomon, yet he took his throne. So Adonija spirit is the spirit that attacks a man from his household. It attacks one through his very own people
- It makes one’s friend or associate to become his enemy. Joab was the captain of David’s host. Adonija confused him, took him and used him to attack David’s will for Solomon. Don’t be surprise when your friends suddenly start attacking you, Adonija spirit is at work. Deal with it from the spiritual angle.
1Kings 1:7; And he conferred with Joab the son of Zeruiah, and with Abiathar the priest:
- He has an evil priest’s backup. Abiathar was his priest. So in order to deal with this spirit you must as well have the backup of our high priest in the person of Jesus Christ.
- It is a spirit that uses sacrifices to sponsor his attacks.
1Kings 1:9; And Adonijah slew sheep and oxen and fat cattle by the stone of Zoheleth, which is by Enrogel, and called all his brethren the king’s sons, and all the men of Judah the king’s servants:
Scriptural Ways on how to Enforce Victory over the spirit of Adonijah
- Get to the king and report the matter. When Solomon’s throne was hijacked by Adonijah the prophet Nathan called his mother and advised her on how to deal with Adonijah and take back what belonged to her son. She was told according to 1Kings 1:13, “Go and get thee in unto king David, and say unto him…”
You are expected to open up to the king. Speak to God. He is the king of kings.
- Know the will of God for your life and Present God’s Word cincerning your life back to Him. His word can’t fail. Besheba mother of Solomon reminded the king of what he said, 1Kings 1:13. So remind God of what He has said and demand for its enforcement.
- Prayerfully locate your “Nathan” that will back you up and add more weight to your prayers. Nathan said to Beersheba as you speak to the king I will come in also to confirm your words, 1Kings 1:14.
- Capitally judge that wicked spirit when you begin to see any of the above 10, manifesting in or around your life.
- Back your prayers up with sacrifice as you’re led. Adonija was a man of sacrifice so you must also use your own sacrifice to counter his sacrifice on his wicked altar.
- O Lord I thank you for opening my eyes to the wickedness of the devil concerning my destiny.
- My Lord visit the enemy of my throne with your anger and cause him not carry out his plans over my life
- By your slaying sword slay the Adonijah that has reason to hijack my rights
- By the fire of God I secure all that the Lord has given to me
- In the name of Jesus I declare that the will of God over my life must come to pass
- I declare in the name of Jesus the fall of any personality, force or altar backing my enemy
- O Lord overturn the plans of the wicked concerning my life and cause him to reap that he has sown for me.