EXPOSING THE WILD VINE
2 Kings 4:38-40
And Elisha returned to Gilgal, and there was a famine in the land. Now the sons of the prophets were sitting before him; and he said to his servant, “Put on the large pot, and boil stew for the sons of the prophets.”
So one went out into the field to gather herbs, and found a wild vine, and gathered from it a lapful of wild gourds, and came and sliced them into the pot of stew, though they did not know what they were.
Then they served it to the men to eat. Now it happened, as they were eating the stew, that they cried out and said, “Man of God, there is death in the pot!” And they could not eat it.
Wild vine speaks of those poisonous deposits the enemy projects into people’s life. From the anchor text we discovered how Elisha’s servant unknowingly gathered wild vines which almost if not the mercies of God destroyed their lives.
The first thing to observe concerning this wild vine is that, it was found in the field. The bible says the servant went into the field. Being found in the field simply means is not far-fetched. The effect of this wild vine we are discussing here is very spiritual. Now, the field we are referring to could be the field of your marriage, career, academics, profession, health, life, etc.
The enemy in one way or the other has scattered this wild vine in your fields so that you can become a victim of its effects. These wild vines we are talking about are those things that have the capacity to cause harm in any part of your life. Their effects can’t be overlooked because they are capable of killing. It takes the miraculous hand of the Lord to save anyone that is already a victim of this wild vine.
WHAT ARE THESE WILD VINES?
- They are those wicked associates plotting demotion and causing harm
- They are charms/spells/poisons prepared for the death of another
- They are evil suicidal thoughts that have the ability to cause one to commit suicide
- They are arrows of affliction/death released from satanic altars against another
- They are enemies in the attire of friends
- They are just as the word of God put it, wolves in sheep’s clothing
- They are evil gifts
- They are seeds of sickness and sin planted in the lives of people by the devil.
The second thing about this wild vine is that they are unassuming but very harmful. They don’t look like what they are. They appear harmless but in reality, they are harmful. When the young man that went to the field to gather herbs got there, in the process of gathering herbs, he mistakenly took wild vine, without knowing it. The bible says in verse 39, “…though they did not know what they are.” So this wild vine is subtle in nature and in operations. And that is exactly the nature of the devil.
These wild vines were found where the herbs were. The enemy will always sow his wicked seeds where good seeds are so as to corrupt the good seeds. So in life always be ready to identify evil in the midst of the good. The devil hates good things so he will always come into corrupt them.
The bible says, after the sower finished sowing the good seeds, the enemy came and sowed tares. Matt 13:24-25. All those tares the enemy are sowing in the lives, health, jobs, ministry, marriage, etc. of ignorant folks are wild vines.
Declare with me now, say O God, I release your fire to burn to ashes every presence of any wild vine in any area of my life.
CHARACTERISTICS OF WILD VINE
- They are poisonous/harmful.
- They pollute good things.
- Wild vines are not just harmful but kills.
- They are hidden among good things, thereby making it difficult to discover them
- They prevent one from enjoying the dividends of their labour.
- They are wasters of time and strength
- They are wasters of resources
HOW TO DEAL WITH WILD VINE
From the anchor text, we discovered that immediately they observed the presence of the wild vine in the pot they cried out…
2 Kings 4:40 “Then they served it to the men to eat. Now it happened, as they were eating the stew, that they cried out and said, “Man of God, there is death in the pot!” And they could not eat it.”
When you discover such harmful agents around you, don’t keep quiet. Cry out to God. Open up the matter to Him. Let Him know what you have found yourself into. Then just like what we saw Elisha did in nullifying the effect of the poisonous guards, do the same. Elisha did not bother taking away the poison from the pot because it has mingled well with the stew, rather he added flour to the pot. Flour is the essential part of bread and bread spiritually represents the word of God. So in such situation, engage the word of God as a weapon. Add more Word to that your system the enemy has hurt or corrupted and you will see the mighty power of God work wonders.
- O Lord I thank you for exposing all the wild vines in my life
- O Lord I thank you for having nullified the effect of wild vine in my life
- I dedicate all my fields to God and ask for the angelic presence to overshadow them
- I release the power of the most high God to heal any part of my system that the enemy has poisoned with this wild vine
- In the name of Jesus, O Lord I ask that you make me to be sensitive to discover these wild vines whenever the enemy release them
- In the name of Jesus, I uproot from my field every plantation of wild vine
- I arrest every enemy projecting harmful deposits into my life in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord keep me from mingling with poisonous associates in the name of Jesus